Rama Devi Women's University ,Bhubaneswar, Odisha has been established by an Act No.5 of 1989 of State Legislature of Odisha as a State University vide Notification No.-HE-FE-I-B-MISC-9/2015 dated 30.05.2015 and is empowered to award degrees as specified by the UGC under Section 22 of the UGC act 1956 through ots own departments ,its constituent Colleges and/or through its affiliated Colleges in regular mode with the approval of concerned statutary bodies/councils,wherever required.
Historical Facts about the University:
Government Women's College,Bhubaneswar was established in the year 1964 in a small building of the Labour Department of Govt of Orissa and was affiliated to Utkal University.The College was shifted to the Old School Building of Unit-1 in 1966 and finally to the campus of 28 acres near Rupali Square,Bhubaneswar (present University campus) on 1st January 1969.
In the year 1969,.Vide G.O. No. 3131/dated 08.02.69 from the Govt of Orissa, the Education Department to the Director of Public Instruction (D.P.I,H.E.),Orissa the name of the College was changed to Rama Devi Women's College,Bhubaneswar.
The Syndicate of Utkal University as per Resolution in its meeting held on 07.03.69 has recorded the decision of the Government of Orissa in regard to the change of name of Government Women's College, Bhubaneswar to Rama Devi Women's College,Bhubaneswar.This was communicated to the Secretary to Govt of Orissa ,Dept of Education and Youth Services Bhubaneswar by the Assistant Registrar(Admn.)Utkal University vide letter No.-69878 dated 20th March 1969.
- The College celebrated Silver Jubilee in the year 1990.
- The College was given a Lead College Status by the Govt of Orissa in 1994.
- The College was conferred Autonomous status vide U.U. Notification No.Dev-1/145/38257/99 dated 19.06.99 and by the Govt. of Orissa letter No.50351/I-HE/AC-1/98/HEdated 12.10.99.
- The Junior wing (classes of Higher Secondary) Rama Devi Women's Autonomous College was separated from the Autonomous College from the Year 2001-vide Govt Notification 29412/HE dated 15.05.2001.
- The College was accredited by NAAC with grade 'A'on 16.09.2004.It was reaccredited with A grade again in February 2015.
- The College was given CPE (College with Potential for Excellence)Status by UGC in 2010.
- The College celebrated Golden Jubilee in 2014 with Sj. Pranab Mukherjee Honourable President of India as the Chief Guest in its Inaugural function on 30th Nov 2014.
- Under the RUSA scheme the College was up-graded to the Status of the University on 30.05.2015 vide Higher Education Department, Govt. of Odisha Notification No. HE-FE-I-MISC-9/2015/11605/HE dated 30.05.2015.
Thus the first Women's University of Orissa ,Rama Devi Women's University was born on 30.05.2015 as an affiliating University and 46 Women's Colleges under Utkal University came under the jurisdiction of the new University .The UG classes of original Rama Devi Autonomous College became the UG classes of the new University.
The Chief Minister of Odisha officially inaugurated the University in a ceremony held on 3rd December 2015 coinciding with the birth day of Maa Rama Devi after whom the University is named and the university celebrates this day of 3rd December as its Foundation Day.
Disclaimer : This is the official website of Rama Devi Women's University, Department of Higher Education, Govt. of Odisha.The website is developed and hosted by National Informatics Center. Rama Devi Women's University, Govt. of Odisha is the owner of the website.:
Copyright © 2021 rdwuniversity.nic.in
All Rights Reserved.: